The McLean Youth Soccer U6 and U7 program follows an "academy" format where every player receives professional training and all volunteer parent/coaches are offered mentoring and guidance.
The U6 and U7 Academy is an inclusive program to give all levels of young soccer players the opportunity to develop their skills.
The purpose of this approach is to train players so that they are prepared for either the travel or recreation programs in the future and to provide guidance to volunteer coaches that they may utilize with their teams in later years in the recreation program.
The aim is to help both the coaches and the players!
- U6-U7 teams have EIGHT practices and EIGHT games per season
- Teams practice for 60 minutes once per week with their volunteer/parent coach.
- On Saturdays, three or four teams practice at one location for 30 minutes, using session plans provided by the club. This is immediately followed by a 30-minute game using our small-sided, continuous play model that maximizes touches on the ball.
- Teams practice for 60 minutes once per week with their volunteer/parent coach and professional staff coaches.
- Six teams at a time practice on one field for one hour, using session plans provided by the club.
- Every other week the team's session is run by a professional staff coach and assisted by the parent/volunteer coach.
- On Saturdays, two MYS teams play two side-by-side games using a continuous play model that maximizes touches on the ball. These games are supervised by their parent/volunteer coaches.
Academy Extension Program:
- Individual players may be invited to participate in one additional practice each week. This invitation will be offered to players who show the most energy and enthusiasm and will not be based on ability. The extension program is available by invitation only.