The McLean Youth Soccer professional technical staff is led by Technical Director, Clyde Watson along with Goalkeeper Director, John Szaro, Assistant Technical Director, Jamil Walker and Age Group Directors, Jamil Faryadi, Jaon Ahmad, Alan Portillo and Cindi Harkes. Please read more about our technical staff on their bio page.
The McLean Youth Soccer (MYS) travel program consists of Team Training, Individual Training Opportunities, and League and Tournament Play as well as other on and off field developmental events including college information sessions, specialized fitness training and special technical clinics.
Players try out each year to be considered for a team. Once selected, the player commits to one seasonal year (August - July) of participation with the team.
McLean Youth Soccer offers a range of teams for players based on level of play and commitment. Players should carefully review information about a team prior to trying out.
Team Training & Player Expectations: Travel teams in MYS typically train 2-3 times/week throughout the fall and spring seasons. Higher-level teams may train year-round with more frequency.
League and Tournament Games: McLean Youth Soccer travel teams participate in a number of leagues. Placement in these leagues is determined by the technical staff and reflects the team's level of play and level of commitment.
- ECNL: The Elite Clubs National League is the highest level of youth soccer competition available for boys and girls, ages 13-19. Travel and time commitments are extensive.
- CCL: The Club Champions League was founded in January 2013 as 15 distinguished soccer clubs in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC agreed to form their own league based on a simple concept that included three main features: 1. Superior Competition 2. a Model for Player Development and 3. a governing board made up of Soccer Directors from each club.
- NCSL: The National Capital Soccer League is the primary travel league for the DC Metropolitan area. Most age groups have 4-6 different divisions catering towards the varying needs of travel level teams.
- There are other competitions/leagues that some teams may enter based on level of play and commitment, such as EDP and the US Youth Soccer Region I Premier League. Please check each team information sheet for specific information.
The recommended number of tournaments will be determined by age and ability level. The head coach will inform the team as to the approximate number of tournaments they will participate in throughout each season. The Technical Director (TD) and the Age Group Directors (AGDs) will determine which tournaments the club will participate in. The objective will be to have all of MYS teams attend the same tournaments if practical. As a general guide U9-12 teams participate in 4-6 tournaments per year. U13-19 teams participate in 4-8 tournaments per year.
Attendance at all team games and tournaments is mandatory. Discuss any/all conflicts that arise with your coach that may prevent a player from participating.
Coach Assignments: Please refer to the Travel Staff page for details.
International Opportunities: McLean Youth Soccer provides opportunities for teams to travel internationally over spring break and summer for the U13 and U16 age groups. These are excellent opportunities to expand the player's cultural and developmental horizons. Please visit the International Travel page for more details, including news and photos from recent trips.
Communication: MYS encourages open channels of communication available to any player or parent. We do ask that a 24-hour waiting period be respected before reaching out to discuss a game issue. The club policy is below:
Travel Program Communication Policy
The McLean Youth Soccer Travel Program has a network of staff to support its members. A chain of communication has been established to help address member's issues or concerns. In the event that a parent, player or member has a technical or administrative issue or concern, please follow the process below. If a resolution is not identified, please move to the next level of escalation. Please allow for a reasonable response time.
- First Level of Escalation: Team Coach (technical); Team Manager (administrative)
- Second Level of Escalation: Age Group Director (technical); Travel and Communications Director (administrative)
- Third Level of Escalation: Technical Director, Clyde Watson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fourth Level of Escalation: Executive Director, Louise Waxler (email@example.com)